Home   |   Biography   |   Contact Me


Ted VibertI was born at Grosnez, St. Ouen in 1938 and attended New Street School, followed by the States Intermediate and was in the first intake into Hautlieu when it opened.   I then won a Howard David Scholarship to the School of Navigation at Warsash, part of Southampton University. In my last term, I was hit by a cricket ball above my  right eye which damaged my eyesight so I was unable to continue a career as a Merchant Navy Officer. 


I went on to be a reporter on the Jersey Evening Post for four years. 


I was appointed public relations officer for Jersey Tourism based in London. Whilst there, I played professional football for Leyton Orient.  I also played football for Jersey in the Schoolboy Muratti, the Junior Muratti and the Senior Muratti - and was on the winning side each time. I also played cricket for Jersey.

My position with Jersey Tourism made me responsible for public relations and marketing in the UK for Greece, Turkey, Gibraltar and a region of France. As a result, I travelled extensively throughout Europe.

In 1964 I returned to Jersey with my wife – whom I had met at the Intermediate School when we were 14 - and four children to start a glossy magazine called “Jersey Topic”.  Two years later I launched a full colour Sunday newspaper called “The Island Sun”.

In 1966 I stood in the Senatorial elections and just missed out. I was only 27 and  shocked the Establishment by holding the first pre-war public rally in the Royal Square which packed the Square a few days before the election.

In 1972 I sold my shares in the publishing company and boatyard and emigrated to Australia with my family. At that time I had two reasons for doing this - I could not see my children ever having a decent career or owning their own home

In Australia I lived in Sydney for 28 years and forged a highly successful career in public relations and marketing with political lobbying being my special expertise. I developed an interest in public speaking and took part in a number of large competitions some of which I won.

Two months after my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer, I suffered a stroke which left me unable to speak or move any part of the left side of my body. I made a slow recovery and within three months was able to function normally. My doctors advised me to slow down and head towards retirement. Two years after the death of my wife of 40 years, I decided to return to Jersey as I wished to retire and wanted to see if Jersey would suit me.

I found myself getting more and more upset by what I saw and heard. It was obvious to me that the gap between the rich and poor in Jersey had widened even more, house prices were sky-high and totally beyond the reach of young people and planning decisions about the Waterfront would create an unholy mess.

In October of 1999 I decided to stay in Jersey and run in the December elections in Number 1 district of St. Helier. I was successful but after only five months into my three years term, I suffered ill-health again and had to resign on doctor’s orders. I am now fully recovered and keen to return to politics.

In 2002 I married my second wife, whom I had met in 1999. Unfortunately this didn’t work out.

I stayed out of the political limelight until 2003 when I decided to enter a Senatorial by-election against an Establishment favourite Alastair Layzell.  Despite all of the efforts of the Establishment to support Mr. Layzell, I won convincingly.

In 2005 I launched the Jersey Democratic Alliance in an historic meeting at Fort Regent attended by over 1,000 people.   However two months later my health failed again due to overwork and I was forced to give up politics again.

Five years later a chance meeting in the street with Deputies Shona and Trevor Pitman led to my return to politics as interim president of the JDA.  (I was very saddened when they and Deputy Debbie de Sousa decided to quit the JDA).  I worked to re-organise JDA administration systems, recruiting candidates for next years elections, and setting up the training program for them and at the same time maintaining the high profile of the JDA in press releases, on radio and television and introducing new and regular information on to the JDA website.

During my term as a Senator I was mainly responsible for bringing in the States Remuneration Tribunal which took discussion about States members pay out of the States.  I was also responsible for Connex having to return £196,000 to the taxpayer, when I proved they had wrongly charged the States for this amount.  I  also failed by one vote to have a vote of no confidence in Senator Len Norman carried by the Assembly and my vote of censure against then Senator Frank Walker over the Trinity infill fiasco narrowly failed